4 lt brown beef stock
300g brown roux
225g slab bacon diced
225g tomato puree
1. In a saucepan gradually add the brown stock into a brown roux until it is dissolved.
2. Heat to boil, reduce to simmer and skim off excess impurities.
3. In a saucepan render the slab bacon, then remove the bacon. Add the mirepoix and sauté until browned drain off any excess fat.
4. Add the tomato puree and simmer for 5 minutes to cook out the acidity, add to the stock mixture.
5. Add the bouquet garni continue to simmer until desired consistency is achieved.
6. Strain through a chinois into a suitable container. Cool quickly label, date and refrigerate.
7. When reheating allow to reach boiling point.