Twice baked asparagus and pecorino soufflé with smoked salmon and herb salad
15g corn flour
4 egg yolks
50g asparagus purée
10g pecorino cheese, grated
5 egg whites
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Assorted micro shoots
20g toasted pine nuts
80g asparagus tips, blanched
20ml sundried tomato pesto
10ml balsamic vinegar
4 slices smoked salmon
1. In a pot, melt the butter then add the cornflour and flour, forming a roux.
2. Add the milk and stir until the mixture thickens.
3. Add egg yolks, asparagus purée and pecorino cheese.
4. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks then fold into the slurry mixture. Season to taste.
5. Line 4 ramekins with butter and flour. Add the asparagus mixture to the ramekins and place in a bain marie. Bake at 160oC until done, about 15 minutes.
6. Place the micro shoots, pine nuts and asparagus tips in a mixing bowl. Add oil from sundried tomato pesto, balsamic vinegar and season to taste.
Heat the soufflé and assemble soufflé, salmon and salad on the plate and drizzle with sundried tomato pesto.
Recipe by Chef Trevor Boyd