Sweet potato and cream cheese phyllo triangles with spicy tomato sauce
Spicy tomato sauce
2 red chillies, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
425g can chopped tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
30ml soft brown sugar
25ml cider vinegar
250g sweet potato, peeled and cut
into 5 mm slices
200g Parmalat traditional cream cheese
100 g Parmalat mozzarella or Parmalat mature cheddar cheese, grated
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
12 sheets phyllo pastry
50g butter melted
80ml basil pesto
15ml sesame seeds
1. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat.
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Grease a large baking tray.
2. Heat the oil and fry the sweet potato until lightly browned on both sides. Allow to cool.
3. Mix the two cheeses and pepper.
4. Layer three sheets of phyllo pastry, brushing each with some of the melted butter. Cut the pastry into 5 strips.
5. Place some of the sweet potato slices on the short end of the pastry strips. Top with some of the cheese mixture and a teaspoon of the pesto.
6. Fold the pastry over the filling to form triangles like samoosas.
7. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
8. Place the triangles on the prepared baking tray, brush with the remaining butter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
9. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
10. Serve hot with the sauce.